Saturday, May 22, 2010

Parenting Column

I have always wondered how “Parenting experts” actually get that title. Seriously what makes them experts? Is it the fact that they have children, or that they are a Doctor, a psychologist? So if I have more than one dog would that make me an expert? Well I have always wanted to have my own parenting advice column and considering I have six children maybe that makes me an expert. I really don’t think so, but I do believe that I have lots of experience and advice that I could offer. Here is an example of what my column might look like:

Dear 6packmom

My eleven year old daughter refuses to get out of bed in the morning, and when she finally does get up, she is grumpy and rude to everyone. Do you have any suggestions for helping her have a better attitude in the mornings?

CL

Dear CL

Have you examined what time she is going to bed? Although she may not appear to be tired when it is time for lights out, perhaps you need to adjust her bedtime for half an hour earlier. Her refusal to get out of bed may indicate another type of problem altogether. Perhaps she is attempting to avoid going to school. Is she finding a particular subject too hard? Has she has a disagreement with a friend? Friendship issues can be very complex at this age. I would suggest seizing the moment when she is a good mood, to sit down and talk to her. Explain to her that you are concerned about her behaviour in the mornings and ask her if there is anything you can do to help. If nothing comes about from talking to her, or setting an earlier bedtime, then perhaps the old method of a cup of water on the head would be a better option?

Dear 6packmom

My children refuse to eat what I set out for them at dinner time. Any suggestions?

LK

Dear LK

Have you actually taken a good look at what you are serving? Have you yourself eaten it? If you answered yes to both and still feel your cooking is good then here are a few suggestions.Inform your children that if they do not wish to eat their dinner then you will undress right there at the table. Trust me, the thought of their mother naked will get them gobbling up anything that may be on their plate! Just be sure to follow through on that threat however.If you are not prepared to get naked, then maybe serve dinner buffet style. Most children are more willing to eat if they have a few options rather than being told what they have to eat.Do not force them to “clean their plate” so called parenting experts suggest that by doing so you may actually enforce bad eating habbits and attitudes which may lead to eating issues later on in life.If all else fails just let them be. Do not allow them to leave the table until everyone else is done eating. They won’t starve.

LOL Have any questions you want to shoot my way? I will be more than happy to answer and offer what I can.

Till next time, Momof6

No comments:

Post a Comment